As we’ve learned, over and over again, my musical tastes are unlike those of most people. They’re similar, mind you, but just a bit off-kilter. It’s as if you took a normal person’s tastes and rotated them about five degrees from reality. Oh well. I got a kick out of the meme (I found here) so you’re stuck with it anyway. Unless you choose to stop reading at this point, of course.
Step 1: Put your music player on shuffle.
Step 2: Post the first line from the first 40 (English-language) songs that play, no matter how embarrassing.
Step 3: Strike through the songs when someone guesses both artist and track correctly. (Comments may appear at greyduck.net or at the LJ thingie, mind you.)
Step 4: Looking them up on Google or any other search engine is CHEATING!
Step 5: If you like the game post your own.
- I’ve been thinking about this for the last three days
- In the last hours of a sunset rendezvous
- City’s breaking down on a camel’s back (Gorillaz, “Feel Good Inc.”)
- I’m a snowplow, I must now plow on
- I woke up and the world outside was dark
- Fortune, fame, mirror vain, gone insane, but the memory remains (Metallica, “The Memory Remains”)
- When we’re working nights, the village ’round the old church becomes scary town
- Skin and bone, tremble on the throne, something unexpected couldn’t hurt
- Drop down, baby, let your daddy see
- Strange, the view from here, words we spoke forgotten at the time (Queensryche, “Real World”)
- Father was born by Daisy May Welch
- Dry forever, the sun blinds off the whitewashed walls
- Close your eyes, let me touch within (VAST, “Flames”)
- No cloud, a sleepy calm, sunbaked earth that’s cooled by gentle breeze
- You wear guilt like shackles on your feet (Depeche Mode, “Halo”)
- There has always been a dividing line
- One thing’s for sure that it’s still the same
- Send a heartbeat to the void that cries through you (Smashing Pumpkins, “The Beginning Is The End Is The Beginning”)
- She smells of the sun, and she’s constantly saying that it’s all a lie
- Say “yes” to a real life ambition, say “yes” to our hopes and our plans
- Touched, you say that I am too (VAST, “Touched”)
- In sleep I am drawn, I feel guilty at dawn
- Don’t break this rhythm, don’t break this motion (Peter Gabriel, “Don’t Break This Rhythm”)
- Under the waterline, no place to retire
- Looking out the window staring at the things that I can’t see (VAST, “Land of Shame”)
- Awake on my airplane, awake on my airplane (Filter, “Take A Picture”)
- Hans plays with Lotte, Lotte plays with Jane (Peter Gabriel, “Games Without Frontiers”)
- While I sit here trying to think of things to say
- I’ll see you at the weighing in, when your life’s sum-total’s made
- You see me in a foreign face, in ships that sink without trace
- Oh, the Sandman is running, oh, he ain’t telling you why
- Don’t look back, whatever it takes to save your life
- I sit in silence, I feel the guilt
- Greetings from Sodom, how we wish you were here
- Stand up, you’ve got to manage (Bjork, “Army Of Me”)
- Well I want to return to my sender, yes I want to return
- Bouncing off the wall, blind and dancing out of frame
- Speed, and this, there’s a feeling I get when I look to the sun
- I can feel no sense of measure (Yes, “Leave It”)
- Got a green light, got a green light yeah, but I’m going nowhere (Filter, “Take A Picture”)
Now, I used Winamp for this and pointed it at my “Jukebox” directory, which is the source/sync directory I use to feed my portable player. Given the variety of stuff there, I’m amazed at what could be considered a heavy showing by a small number of artists. So amazed was I, in fact, that I built an Excel spreadsheet… that I’ll share in a later post, so as not to give too many hints right from the get-go…
#10 – Queensryche – Real World (It’d be sadly pathetic if I didn’t get this one in my sleep)
#21 – Vast – Touched
#23 – Peter Gabriel – Don’t Break This Rhythm
That’s all I can give ya off the top of my head.
@Kylanath – I knew I could count on you for the QR track. *grin*
Apparently I suck, because the only one I got was “Games without frontiers”, and someone else beat me to it. #31 sounds familiar, and #33 strikes me as a ‘chmode track.
13) Flames, Vast. 😉
18) the beginning is the end is the beginning, Smashing Pumpkins (thank you watchmen soundtrack & batman 3/4? soundtrack!!)
25) land of shame, vast
26) Take a picture, filter
40) the best things, filter
Those are the ones that burn through my mind in any given week. I’m SURE there is some midnight oil or phil collins/genesis in there SOMEWHERE; i’d bet a month of pay on it! But, alas, i don’t know those peps by heart.
@Heather – You are correct on all counts. Figured you’d get the VAST and the Filter, but I didn’t know you were a Pumpkins fan. *wry grin*
#11: Toy Matinee – We Always Come Home
#24: MidnightOil – Put Down That Weapon
#34: Toy Matinee: Last Plane Out
#35: Toy Matinee: Queen Of Misery
Toy Matinee rule!
@Tony – Are you sure you meant #35, Tony? (You’re right, of course. You just got one of the numbers wrong…)
Toy Matinee do rule!
It’#37, of course! 🙂
I got one! #30, The Adversary by Crime and the City Solution!
@Wonderduck – Hooray! Now, do you know that because you’re a fan of the band, or because you also own the soundtrack to “Until The End Of The World”…?
Neither! Would you believe that the song was in the Duck U. Bookstore’s in-store music system’s playlist (Alternative channel)? It reminded me a lot of the group Morphine, and I was somewhat surprised to find out it wasn’t by them.