Today we mark the end of an era. That would be the “Monaural Jerk Era,” the peak of which saw five websites I manage (or have helped manage) running that particular content-management system. Ashalen left the platform long ago. I moved to WordPress at the beginning of the year, then I migrated Wendi’s site. I turned The Lab into a wiki from a blog, and now Lil’s blog has joined me in WordPress bliss. (Mari runs WordPress as well, but she converted from Movable Type instead; Kylanath remains a big fan of MT, which I don’t begrudge her one bit. Whatever makes you happy, hon’!)
Getting “Note of the Day” truly blissful, however, took a fair number of hours and no few headaches. The only good-looking purple-schemed template I could find was a conversion to WordPress of a theme from an entirely different platform, and whoever did the conversion gave me some of the sloppiest website code I’ve ever seen. Glaring errors, screwed up line encodings and horrific indentation cost me at least an hour all on their own, nevermind the actual design challenges I faced in making the thing work the way I wanted it to.
And then I loaded the site in Internet Explorer only to run smack-dab into the so-called “float drop” problem, the details of which I won’t bore you with, but I can tell you that I fixed it by editing one particular entry that included a bunch of fixed-width tables.
Now, if you’ll excuse me, I need to get away from my computer for a while and put some food in me. Spending all afternoon coding (and fending off whiny salespeople) on an empty stomach is not my preferred mode of operation…